A 440 Hz Dtandard.

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:22:23 -0500

One additional twist on this thread comes from a visiting harpsichordist
some years ago.  He requested 441.  When I asked him why, he said that
by having the pitch there, the pitch would never fall below 440 no
matter what the heat of the lights on the stage might do to the
strings/soundboard.  Harpsichords do drop in pitch when the stage lights
come on.  I would imagine a piano does the same perhaps to a lesser
degree.  It seemed like an interesting perspective and one I could
subscribe to.  In a backdoor way it actually upholds the 440 pitch
standard.  It may help instrumentalists who may have trouble tuning to a
piano/harpsichord if it sags below 440 during a performance.  Having
said that I try to keep the concert instruments at 440 (with just stage
worklights, not the full showtime lighting) and allow practice rooms to
float (+ or - 4 cents).

Richard West
University of Nebraska