A 440 Hz Dtandard.

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:05:32 -0400

The comments I find on this list re this subject are most interesting.  I
notice that there are those who see it as a means of making more bucks, and
others who see it as a matter principle.  This gets to me just like those
55-MPH speed limits on some very crowded sections of Interstate where you
will get rear-ended by a big truck if you drive less than 80.  Why on earth
have a standard if you don't plan to abide by it?

In a private home, I just let the pitch float around 440, + or -, if there
is no reason to do otherwise, and it comes right back close to the same
place the same time next year.  In a teaching studio, a church, or a
concert hall, it's an entirely different matter.  It's a matter of common
sense, as I see it.

Thanks for all your comments.

Jim Ellis