A 440 Hz Standard

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:34:03 EDT

About a quarter century ago the PTG had a Pitch Stabilization Committee, a
'standing committee' as I recall.  I happened to chair the committee for a year
or two.  Its purpose was to resist this counterproductive pitch inflation
which seems to rear its head every once in a while.  The committee was rather
impotent, or perhaps not creative enough to generate real solutions.  Anyway, the
epidemic that had been rampant then seemed to subside and the committee was
eliminated.  (However, there's no reason to assume that the current trend for
'one-upmanship' will run its course and disappear.  Times are different, the
recording industry is very different, economic resources are differently
distributed.)

It's true that woodwind instruments are less flexible in pitch than brass,
which in turn are less flexible than the strings.  But all are optimized for a
particular pitch.  As far as I know, the standard for mass-produced winds (both
woodwinds and brass) is still A=440.  However, many high-level professional
performers are playing custom made instruments.  These can be made at any
pitch.

Karen Kevra, a prominent flutist, recording artist, concert performer,
recently had a new flute made for her.  It's at 442 and she says she can accommodate
440, but absolutely no lower.
She says she was persuaded that since both of these pitches occur in her
world, she would be better off with the higher pitch, adapting as necessary to the
lower, rather than the other way around.  She also says she's not sure that
was the best decision since she much more commonly encounters 440.  But since
she has $25,000 invested in the new flute (makes concert grands seem a fine
bargain?) she's sticking with it for the time being.

Violinist Jamie Laredo insists on 441.  My take on his stance is that the
slight pitch raising (of the piano) required to accommodate his recitals is just
enough to make him special without stepping too hard on everyone else's toes!
- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the
stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey