A 440 Hz Standard

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:26:31 -0600

At 12:38 PM 4/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 4/13/04 11:29:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
>s.kabat@csuohio.edu writes:
>On the other hand.  Does anyone think it's worth another try?  Like what
>we
>tried to do in Kansas City in 1985?  I would vote YES.  What about you?

My vote is yes.
Too many times, I've been shown that the conductor, or the principle, can't
tell what the pitch is, anyway. Not without their little 15 buck electronic
toy. "If the bow is moving, it's out of tune."
How are your ears after a full day? Wonder how the conductor's ears are
after a few hours right up front?

>We can try, but for the most part, orchestras, and especially the
>conductors, have a lot more clout than the piano tuner. If an orchestra
>tunes regularly at 442, it is not going to constantly require the piano to
>be given a pitch raise. Once it is at 442, it is easier to maintain it
>there. As far as when an orchestra goes on tour, if need be, the orchestra
>will probably tune to what ever the piano is, unless they are willing to
>spend the money for the extra tunings.

Drift, drift, drift. In most cases, the piano really should be a bit high
anyway, before curtain. Instrumentalists adjust somewhat automatically,
whether they think about it or not. The audience sure as heck can't tell,
once the fireworks start going off, and a bazillion different sounds start
bouncing around the hall.

>Hey, if they are willing to pay us for the work, why not. Don't tell me
>you guys would walk away from a tuning, especially if they are willing to
>pay for the extra work, because of you're conviction to A440?

The point is that it's not just "a" tuning, sir. It's a few. And... they
usually haven't factored in enough time, AND.... let me guess.... you've
never had to bring one up 2Hz and back down the next day. Correct?

Ever watch the display of a ETD when a cellist bows a sustained tone?

I really don't see the point, so my vote remains "Yes". Set the standard,
and use it.

>Wim

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT