1897 S&S A

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:23:22 -0700

Thanks Wim,

Anybody else have any thoughts to share?  I'm not so concerned about the valuation.  That can be determined without a great deal of difficulty.  Rather, I am concerned about the direction I should steer them.  Normally a piano this old would be a no-brainer, but the situation is unique, & I could use as much input as possible.

Thanks,

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wimblees@aol.com
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 8:10 AM
  Subject: Re: 1897 S&S A

  In a message dated 4/12/04 6:33:40 PM Central Daylight Time, okeyes@uidaho.edu writes:
    With some regulation & voicing
    this could be very serviceable.  However, as part of the inheritance, it
    could also be completely rebuilt.  Given its remarkably good condition and
    age, it may have some "historical/antique value", which modern rebuilding
    would destroy. While it may be a better piano at the end of that process, it
    may be a less valuable one in "antique" terms.

    They also need a current valuation of the piano in its current condition for
    tax purposes.  I am assuming a wholesale value with the view to a complete
    rebuilding -- setting aside the subjective "antique" value.  Any thoughts
    from all of you on this subject?

    Thanks,

    Otto
  Otto

  I would suggest that the piano be kept in it's original condition, until such time that it does indeed HAVE to be rebuilt.

  As far as value is concerned, one of the factors that would need to be considered is the location. How many people in Moscow, or the surrounding area, are in a position to buy a 1897 S&S A? If the piano is advertised nationally, the transportation factor needs to be considered.

  Any instrument is worth what it is, in it's current condition. Start from the point that a potential buyer wants it for their own use, not as an investment for speculation. It wouldn't necessarily be a wholesale value, because, according to you, it is in very serviceable piano.

  So let's assume some wealthy person in Moscow wants to buy this thing. I don't know the market there, but if this was in the Northeast, I would think a piano like this would be worth about $20,000 -- $25,000. Subtract from that what you think it needs to make it better, but without replacing parts, or refinishing the case, and subtract what you think is the economic difference between the Northeast and western Idaho.

  Hope this helps.

  Wim