strings out of tune, concluding thought

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:32:16 EDT

>From what I've been able to gather, it appears that the main culprit for a
string going out of tune is the lack of equalization of the various segments of
the string, especially, as Jim indicated, over the bridge. It also appears
that pounding, as I do, is not necessarily the answer to stabilization. Please
understand that I don't pound on every tuning. I do this on my first tuning,
especially on a concert instrument, and have found it to be quite effective in
that the piano is much more stable after that. However, even at that, there are
still strings that go out a few cents, which is what my question is all about.
Why does that happen?

The best I can conclude is that even with as much pounding as I do, and most
of you have different versions of that, there are still going to be some
equalization problems. Am I correct to assume that those problems are going to more
prevalent in older instruments where the strings are a little more corroded,
with notches, and rougher bridges, etc.? Or do newer instrument have the same
problem?

If it is the former, then perhaps this answers a question I had several years
ago when I asked, why restring the treble section of a piano? I think it was
Fred who said that restringing gets rid of the buzzes and wild strings. But I
think it is safe to assume now that restringing is going to do more than that.
New strings will move over the bridge easier, and around all the pressure
points. But along with the restringing, the bridges also will need attention.
Maybe most of you already knew this, but I never paid much attention to the
bridge, other than cleaning it. (Presuming, of course the bridges are intact.) It
appears, based on Jim's assessment, that the bridge needs to be polished, and
perhaps the pins replaced, to give the strings as much help rendering over the
bridge as possible.

Comments?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT