A 440 Hz Standard

stephen kabat s.kabat@csuohio.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:25:37 -0400

List:
	I vote "yes" as well.  As long as this weed keeps coming up and
is being watered by those who insist on driving the pitch up, perhaps
the only thing we can do is to reiterate our position. We do, after all,
have a certain amount of clout.  We are the ones who tune the damn
pianos, whether its at 440 or 445 or whatever. Whoever made the point
that economic deterrents can also work was right on, as well.
Regards,
	Steve Kabat

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
James Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 9:23 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: A 440 Hz Standard

All of you who responded to my original "A 440 Hz Standard" post have
illustrated the point I was trying to make even better than I had hoped
for.  I thank you, one and all.

One of my 100-year-old (1904) Chickerings still has the original marking
on
the plate - "INTERNATIONAL PITCH, A 435".  It appears that the "I'm
better
than you are" mind-set resulting in the ever-climbing pitch has been
around
for a long time.  We thought we settled it when the "International
Standard" was set at A=440 Hz, but it's obvious, we had not.  The same
nonsense persists.

There was a special meeting at the Kansas City PTG Convention in 1985,
with
people from several foreign countries attending, when we tried to
re-affirm
the standard.  We tried, but here we are again.  Your various posts have
illustrated perfectly the fact that everyone would be better off if we
would all stick to the same standard.  But I don't have any false hopes,
and I fully expect history to keep repeating itself, and the confusion
continue.

On the other hand.  Does anyone think it's worth another try?  Like what
we
tried to do in Kansas City in 1985?  I would vote YES.  What about you?

Sincerely, Jim Ellis