A 440 Hz Standard

Gary Mushlin gmushlin@mindspring.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:10:42 -0500

Otto and list,

These are excellent reasons not to keep changing pitch on a piano. I
use these same reasons when asked to change pitch. Then I let the party
involved decide what to do.

There have been many good solutions to this problem offered on this
list. That includes offering the pitch change and any extra work
involved for an extra fee or providing another piano - either one you
have or a rental to be paid for by the visiting group (or whoever is
willing to pay).

My opinion is that insisting everybody use A-440 is not a good battle
for a piano technician to fight out in the field. Our time and effort
is probably better spent on other problems. Also, I think insisting
that a visiting group change their pitch to match A-440 just because
that is the official standard is not the best solution to the problem.

Sincerely,
Gary Mushlin, RPT

On Monday, April 12, 2004, at 05:07  PM, Otto Keyes wrote:

> Why be tossed to and fro on the waves of acoustic relativism?
> Wherever I
> have gone, we have discussed the issues thoroughly and come up with
> numerous
> solid reasons to maintain A-440:  pitch instability, creation of false
> beats, risk of breaking strings, added expense of pitch-raise & lower,
> plus
> subsequent stabilization problems mentioned before, though generally
> imperceptible, damper function may suffer on wound strings with older
> felts
> (this may be a stretch, but is theoretically possible).  Numerous other
> things could be added to the list, all of which have a price tag
> attached in
> the long haul.
>
> Given the budget issues most institutions/venues face, this approach
> (list
> delivered in non-threatening, but solemn tones) will usually have the
> desired effect.  Monetary issues are potent persuaders, as well as
> matters
> which may have a direct effect on subsequent performances, ie:  "While
> we
> may be able to get this thing stable by then, your (or your star
> pupil's)
> recital is X hours/days away.  Do you want to risk that for the sake
> of one
> performer's one-night-stand in a venue, on a piano, you have to live
> with
> over the long haul?"  This puts things in a personal light, & the
> consensus
> usually developes pretty quickly.  Even the strong-willed head of a
> department will usually see the light when faced with the prospect of
> mutiny
> from his/her underlings who see their success and credibility
> threatened.
> If the tech. cannot be sure of the stability of the instrument, it can
> produce great anxiety in the performer, & that's the last thing they
> need to
> worry about on the eve of a performance.  The vast majority of the
> world
> still tunes to 440.  Those who tour should be able to adjust to this
> fact,
> not vice versa.
>
> Otto

>>> changed). Our clarinetist tells me (in response to my asking him)
>>> that
>>> he has
>>> various length barrels (a short section that goes between mouthpiece
>>> and body)
>>> which can set the pitch of the instrument. But he concurs about the
>>> intonation
>>> problems, and says if he had to play at 442 (or whatever) all the
>>> time, he would
>>> need a new instrument. Flautist agrees. Brass folks say the same to
>>> varying
>>> extents. Strings: not a problem. Does affect the timbre of the