1897 S&S A

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:32:45 -0700

I just looked at a 6'2" A, built in late 1897 a customer is inheriting.  One
would think that such an instrument would be a beater at this point.
However, it spent much of it's life in the Denver area, & the remainder her
in Moscow, ID.  Everything would appear to be original, save, perhaps, the
hammers.  I can't imagine them not wearing out, though they appear to have
been shaped a few times & are about to wear through in the treble.  If they
have been replaced, it certainly was a good clean job.

It was refinished in the late 40's; is light oak w/fire plug legs & no
scrollwork.  #2 pins are tight, & block appears pristine & original.  No
cracks in the bridge cap, but plenty of hairlines in the board.  However,
the board has crown & generally decent front bearing, though back bearing is
neg. in spots.

The 6'2" A was introduced in '96 & phased out of US production in '47, so
this is a fairly early one, and unusual in that it's oak, but no other
really distinguishing features about it.  With some regulation & voicing
this could be very serviceable.  However, as part of the inheritance, it
could also be completely rebuilt.  Given its remarkably good condition and
age, it may have some "historical/antique value", which modern rebuilding
would destroy. While it may be a better piano at the end of that process, it
may be a less valuable one in "antique" terms.

They also need a current valuation of the piano in its current condition for
tax purposes.  I am assuming a wholesale value with the view to a complete
rebuilding -- setting aside the subjective "antique" value.  Any thoughts
from all of you on this subject?

Thanks,

Otto