A 440 Hz Standard

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:28:03 -0600

Quoting Gary Mushlin <gmushlin@mindspring.com>:

> It has been called to my attention that wind instruments are now
> being
> built to A-442. Does anyone have any any information to confirm this?
>
> Are all wind instruments being built at A-442, or just a select
> group?
> Or maybe my information is wrong.
>
> This certainly would complicate the problem.
>
> Sincerely,
> Gary Mushlin, MME, RPT

Gary,
   Looking at your question again, I think I read it wrong. I think you are asking
whether manufacturers are now making wind instruments at 442 as the default
pitch. I don't believe that this is the case. I believe the better makers offer several
options as to pitch, and that 440 is probably the default sold in the US.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico