part time compensation

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:40:06 EDT

Hi, Wim and colleagues -

I don't give 'discounts' for tunings and other service calls.  (That goes for
institutions, schools, churches, teachers, etc. These categories would
include most of my clientele anyway!)  It seems to me that giving discounts means
that I would have to 'overcharge' other clients to compensate and thus make my
living.  Discounting opens another can of worms when A finds out how much you
charge B and feels abused.  And besides, I would find it cumbersome to try to
keep track of how much discount goes to whom and under what circumstances.

That said, I do have an alternative for dealing with the multiple piano
service calls.  I simply bill the first tuning at the standard fee, and all
subsequent work at my hourly rate.  This almost always results in lower charges for
the additional pianos and this is good news for the client.  In fact, the
client will often arrange to have me do several pianos at one visit to take
advantage of this.  Furthermore, since 'the meter is running' I feel more at liberty
to do the extra minor regulating and repairs (which I itemize on the bill) as
needed.  The client is often very pleased that I noticed and took care of
something.

I have several busy concert venues in my clientele.  These want fresh tunings
for each performance - the way it should be.  Sometimes that will mean tuning
at close intervals, even daily.  I know how these pianos behave, and which
concerts will require a one-cent pitch raising and which will not.  Accordingly,
I may schedule only a half-hour (my minimum length of appointment) for a
touch-up tuning and bill accordingly.  My clients appreciate this and know that I
have their interests at heart.  It has in some cases encouraged their efforts
at climate control, since they can perhaps see the economic value better than
the aesthetic value.  Also, when a client knows that a follow-up tuning isn't
going to be very expensive,
(s)he is much more likely to request another tuning rather than piggyback two
concerts (or six) on one tuning.  The result: stable piano, fine music, happy
customer, good reputation for me.

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations