why does a string go out of tune?

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:08:27 -0600

At 03:35 PM 4/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 4/10/2004 2:00:24 PM Central Standard Time,
>pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:
>Hi Wim,
>
>Possibly you are pounding too hard. Very small changes in humidity cause
>pitch instability in unisons. I've documented that on the ptg list. I wish
>I had better tools to analyse what is going on. Temperature (stage lights)
>as I'm sure you know can make huge differences very very rapidly.
>
>I know stage lights can make a difference, but those differences are by
>way of the soundboard.

Stage lights affect the strings, (and to a lesser degree, the plate), not
the soundboard. Humidity affects the soundboard.

>If the humidity causes pitch instability, why just one one string? Why not
>in all of them?

The amount of non-speaking length between tuning pin and nearest pressure
point is strongly related to "which" strings are affected. Depending on
"what" is doing the affecting, so-to-speak, methinks.

>Why do some strings go up, and other go down?

Over-pounding will make strings go sharp, later. Sometimes much later,
like... after some chords and pedaling have taken place. For performance
pianos, I always do a series of four-note chords with both hands and lots
of pedal. Brings out the weak pin technique quickly. Check, double check,
and then.... check again. It's the only way I can keep from being
embarrassed. Even then....

>Wim

Later,
Guy