Re. Why does a string go out of tune?

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:12:24 -0400

Why does a string go out of tune?  There are many reasons.  It does NOT
necessarily mean there is something wrong with your technique.  Some pianos
just simply have better unison stability than others, and all the various
reasons for this could fill a book.  I won't try to list them all here.

For what it's worth:  Friction is very high between strings and bridge
pins.  I have made measurements that indicate that it is necessary to
change the pitch of the speaking length of a string by 50 to 100 cents
before it will move at the bridge.  This means that no matter how hard you
pound, you will NOT equalize the tension between speaking lengths and
string tails.  You will break something before you can pound hard enough to
do that.  What you WILL do is cause it to move if it is about ready to move
anyway.  The side bearing angle of the strings at the bridge pins has a big
effect on this.  I did demonstrations showing these effects at the
conventions in Kansas City and Albuquerque, and several state conferences
before that.  I'm sorry, but I can't give you a quick fix for the problem.
What I can tell you is that beating the stuffings out of the piano won't
eliminate the problem.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis