why does a string go out of tune?

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:25:33 -0400

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/10/2004 4:53:44 PM Central Standard Time,
> phil@philbondi.com writes:
>
>     Wim, do you listen at ppp?
>
> For concert work, I tune at FFF. I get the middle string is in tune
> with the SAT, hitting the note at least a dozen times. Then I tune the
> outside string by ear, also at FFF, but making sure the SAT has not
> moved, again, hitting the note at least a dozen times at FFF for each
> string. In other words, the note will have had a workout.
>
> Comment about maybe be over doing it. I don't believe that to be the
> case. We are supposed to make sure the piano will stay in tune under
> the most stringent conditions. I don't think the excuse, "I
> didn't know you were going to play the piano that loud," is going to
> cut it when an artist complains the piano went out of tune before the
> end of the first movement.  In defense of my method, last year the D
> at the university withstood the Rach 3rd with only one string slipping
> a couple of cents. That is why I wonder why some strings on some
> pianos do, and some don't, and what causes it.
>
> Wim

Wim Wim...you didn't answer the question..I didn't ask if you tune at
FFF..I asked if you listen at ppp..why?

While my tuning style is similar to yours, I find that if I don't listen
at a low volume, I truly don't know what the note sounds like.

What you're implying is that fff is all there is.. I will disagree if
that's the case.

Phil Bondi(Fl)