CA - Loose Pins

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:59:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2004 3:01:47 PM Central Standard Time,
HazenBannister@cs.com writes:
Hi,
I am curious as to everyone's favorite CA glue,and method of application on a
grand piano,for loose tuning pins.I have a Steinway to do next week, and have
never used the CA method.Thanks in advance for any help.
Best,
Hazen Bannister
Clemson University
Hazen

I have never used CA glue on a pin block, but I have used impact resin with
great success. The most important thing is to be sure to remove the action, and
shore up the bottom of the pin block so the stuff doesn't drip out. To do
that, block a piece of plywood under the pin block with a pin block jack. To make
sure the plywood doesn't adhere to the pin block, put a piece of wax paper
between the plywood and the pin block. To go one step further, put a piece of
felt between the plywood and the wax paper. This will fill in the small gaps
between both pieces of wood,

I presume the customer has opted to go this route, instead of replacing the
pin block, which is what I would have recommended in the first place.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Technician
School of Music