why does a string go out of tune?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:53:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2004 4:53:44 PM Central Standard Time,
phil@philbondi.com writes:
Wim, do you listen at ppp?
For concert work, I tune at FFF. I get the middle string is in tune with the
SAT, hitting the note at least a dozen times. Then I tune the outside string
by ear, also at FFF, but making sure the SAT has not moved, again, hitting the
note at least a dozen times at FFF for each string. In other words, the note
will have had a workout.

Comment about maybe be over doing it. I don't believe that to be the case. We
are supposed to make sure the piano will stay in tune under the most
stringent conditions. I don't think the excuse, "I didn't know you were going to play
the piano that loud," is going to cut it when an artist complains the piano
went out of tune before the end of the first movement.  In defense of my method,
last year the D at the university withstood the Rach 3rd with only one string
slipping a couple of cents. That is why I wonder why some strings on some
pianos do, and some don't, and what causes it.

Wim