why does a string go out of tune?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:35:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2004 2:00:24 PM Central Standard Time,
pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:
Hi Wim,

Possibly you are pounding too hard. Very small changes in humidity cause
pitch instability in unisons. I've documented that on the ptg list. I wish
I had better tools to analyse what is going on. Temperature (stage lights)
as I'm sure you know can make huge differences very very rapidly.
I know stage lights can make a difference, but those differences are by way
of the soundboard. If the humidity causes pitch instability, why just one one
string? Why not in all of them? Why do some strings go up, and other go down?

Wim