why does a string go out of tune?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:22:32 EDT

OK, what exactly is happening when a string goes out of tune. I know about
climatic changes that effect the soundboard. This causes the who piano, or at
least whole sections to go out of tune. I can accept that. But I pride myself on
setting the string and the pin. I am a pounder. On new pianos, (at least new
to me), and especially concert instruments. I beat the daylights out the notes
to get them to stabilize. But there are still strings that go out. That is
why we tune concert instruments numerous times, with strings still going out.

I tune a D for a church once a month. I pound until my fingers hurt but I
leave the string with the lights standing absolutely still. But every time I tune
it, the piano is "in tune" in that it hasn't changed pitch over all, but
there are at least 2 dozen strings that have "slipped." They are 2 or 3 cents off.
I'm not talking notes, I am talking string. The right string of one note is 3
cents low, or the left string of another note is 2 cents flat.

Why is that? Why do just these strings go out, and not the other ones? Am I
still not pounding hard enough, or is the combination of slight variations in
temperature, combined with strings that maybe weren't set right, causing this?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Technician