butterfly was Re: Re[2]: Kawai heavy action (long)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:55:45 -0600

Wim,
	I can't really say from my own knowledge and experience that the butterfly
performs better than the Schwander or other designs (the Baldwin, the
Pratt-Read, etc). But I have heard it stated that the regulation of the
butterfly (when it is regulated properly) is more stable over time, and
that it produces quicker and more reliable repetition. We're talking
highest level performance here - concert stage virtuoso stuff, really
splitting hairs.
  When I have asked why various manufacturers changed to the butterfly,
this is the response I have been given. "Everyone" uses butterfly now
(Yamaha, Kawai, Beckstein, etc), and presumably there is a reason beyond
just copying Steinway. In raising the question, I was hoping to get a
little more objective discourse going on the subject.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico