Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:52:44 -0500

I have found this thread interesting because I, too, used to tap pins
with religious, but gentle, fervor.  When I heard strings go "ping" into
place, I thought I was really doing something.  And the tone improved.
 I'm much more conservative now, almost to the point of becoming a
member of the nontapper congregation.

Since this seems to me to be an area that could be improved, I'm
wondering what manufacturers have done to address soundboard bridge
construction to eliminate some of the problems that have been outlined
in such detail in this thread.  I have heard of metal bridge caps,
agraffes on the soundboard bridges, etc.  I have even seen an old
upright with what looks like small bearing bars (similar to the ones
found on old SD-10's) on the soundboard bridges.  I imagine tradition
dictates what the public will buy.  But if someone could invent a better
bridge, why hasn't it caught on?

Richard West,  University of Nebraska