Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:15:09 -0400

Ron and all ?-
Distracted by life for a few days, the response I had begun threatens to=20
relinquish relevance, if it had any to start.  The topic has attracted some=
=20
other views within the last few days, but I think there are details here=20
that merit addressing.  There are those who consider the practice of=20
tapping strings a useful, if temporary tool at their disposal, though no=20
significant insights into why.  A combination of the video that Ed Sutton=20
is pressing for along with a harmonic analysis seems technologically=20
feasible ($$??).

At this point, I strongly suspect that no one else is plowing through these=
=20
opuses, so you (Ron) should feel no obligation to continue, unless you feel=
=20
I am severely misrepresenting your views.  At the end (literally) I find=20
myself in agreement with what you would like to see.

At 01:56 AM 4/4/2004 -0600, Ron Nossman wrote:

DSkolnik
>>I can readily see where the string  would find it difficult to move=20
>>upward against both the friction and the vector force, but could imagine=
=20
>>it displacing downward, against less friction and in the direction of=20
>>vector force.
>RNossman
>Which is why the string follows the bridge top back down the pin in dry=20
>cycles. There is, as David love said, a chance that pin damage already=20
>incurred by this wear to interfere with both the upward and downward=20
>motion of the string.
DSkolnik
With all due respect, David Love's comments represent a theoretical=20
conjecture, just as do my comments and at least one or two of your own. On=
=20
the one had, the string moves up and down the pin with the climate cycles,=
=20
yet you dismiss the idea that the string could do the same, in a downward=20
movement, in response to vibrating energy. You're stating, I think, that=20
the friction, or mechanical capture by the pin's abraded  and notched=20
surface would prevent any significant sliding movement at the pin. On the=20
one hand, I would say, OK, let's assume that, so we could examine the=20
ramifications.  On the other hand, it seems that at some amount of=20
unsupported length behind the front bridge pin, the mechanical resistance=20
to some sliding movement would be overcome.  In that case, the question=20
would then be, how much length and how much sliding.

At some point too, it would make sense to discuss the more precise nature=20
of the pin damage we speak of, what causes it, what it really looks like,=20
and how it might affect both tone and string motion.

DS
>>Nevertheless, it should be possible to estimate the additional load of a=
=20
>>pitch rise of, say 440 to 445.
>RN
>Yes, it is. This comes up on the list every few months. An arbitrarily=20
>chosen scaling file shows, at 435, 36168lbs total tension, and 682lbs=20
>total down bearing (calculated from bearing angles and tensions). The same=
=20
>piano at 440 shows 37004lbs total tension, and 697lbs total down bearing.

Thank you

DS
>>I should be able to do it, but can't, yet.  It just seems that whatever=20
>>rise could be attributed to board height increase would be pure load, not=
=20
>>the pinching of the string by an expanding bridge top against angled pins.
>RN
>Even with negative front bearing? Have you ever measured zero or negative=
=20
>overall bearing in a piano that has gone sharp with a humidity increase? I=
=20
>have, and that doesn't fit your scenario.

What scenario?  In a piano with positive bearing, whatever increase in=20
board height that occurs would add some additional load to the bridge=20
(assuming pitch is not lowered immediately) without engaging the crushing=20
dynamic of bridge surface pushing against strings locked against=20
pins.  You're right that it seems counter-intuitive to see a climate=20
related pitch rise with negative net downbearing.  Certainly it is not=20
contradictory where you are dealing only with negative front downbearing.

RN
>  Besides, it's not the rise that's the issue. It's the  change in bridge=
=20
> surface relative to the pin. Fifteen pounds of extra bearing divided up=20
> among 230 or so strings isn't going to put a heck of a lot more pressure=
=20
> on the bridge cap under each individual string compared to the 20+ pounds=
=20
> the bridge top takes at each pin pushing the string up the pin.

As  Ed Sutton suggested yesterday, referring to the string grooves in the=20
bridge, "I believe the compressed wood is more stable than new wood."  That=
=20
wood doesn't keep compressing, does it?  Does the  At some point,  it seems=
=20
that some equilibrium is reached between the
recurring crush cycle and the wood fibre damage. A while ago you supplied=20
the information that the side grain compression limit of mock maple was=20
1470psi. Does this figure, in fact, change, once the surface layers are=20
damaged?

DS
>>Likewise, you or someone else in possession of a brain might be able to=20
>>calculate that portion of the pitch increase that could be attributed to=
=20
>>a .030" increase in bridge height.
>RN
>Yes I can, at least to reasonably illustrative rather than precisely=20
>predict. It requires specifying the starting pitch, speaking length, wire=
=20
>diameter(s), back scale length, overall bearing angle, and overall string=
=20
>length from tuning pin to hitch. I think that's everything except friction.

Do you mean that if I supply this data, you will tell me the answer?

DS
>>By the way,  is it possible to relate the 4% and 12%MC that you referred=
=20
>>to earlier to relative humidity?
>RN
>Do you have a copy of the excel spreadsheet I offered a while back?

No, I'm afraid I don't.  Are you still offering it?

DS
>>I don't know...it just seems like you're saying something different.  Can=
=20
>>you explain?
>RN
>You want me to explain something you think seems to be something I don't=20
>see? Uh... no, I don't think I can.

You choose to ridicule me here.  You left out the quotes I felt were=20
inconsistent.  I'll repeat them:

>>I do care about the string contact with the front of the bridge, but I do=
=20
>>not agree that tapping the pin will achieve that end. That's the whole=20
>>point of all this. If the string isn't contacting the notch edge, it's=20
>>for a reason that tapping neither string, nor pin will cure.

>>Wimblees:
>>>There has been a lot of discussion about tapping the pin to create=20
>>>better tone, less distortion, etc. But what are we doing? Is the better=
=20
>>>termination caused because by tapping we are driving the pin deeper into=
=20
>>>the wood at the bottom of the hole, thus creating a more stable pin,
>>Ron N:
>>Partly, but I think mostly dragging the string down with the pin to the=20
>>notch edge.
>
>and
>>WimB
>>>So what is the real reason for tapping? More wood, or less pin?
>>RonN
>>Or seating the string by proxy?

You are telling me that you do not believe that tapping either the pin or=20
the string will cure the lack of notch edge contact, but, in response to=20
Wim, you at least imply that that is exactly what is being done. You may=20
not be able to explain it, but you shouldn't place the responsibility for=20
the confusion on me.

DS
>>Why DO you care about the string contact with the front edge of the=
 bridge?
>RN
>Because when it doesn't, it eventually leads to tone production problems=20
>and false beats when the pin gets loose in the bridge. It's a practical=20
>consideration rather than a theoretical one.

OK.  So you feel that there is some increased likelihood of developing=20
loose bridge pins when strings are elevated from the bridge surface at the=
=20
pin.  You imply either that the looseness would not develop, were the=20
strings to remain firmly seated, or that loose pins would not be a problem=
=20
with seated strings.  What are the tone production problems, apart from=20
false beats, that are eventually lead to?

For clarity (for any other readers) I'm reinserting the portion of the=20
following exchange that you deleted:

RN
>>>DS
>>>My contention is that, since the string segment on the bridge displays=20
>>>considerable curvature, it is misleading to think of angles or to assume=
=20
>>>that the imaginary straight line between front and rear bridge pin is=20
>>>meaningful in defining the angle actually formed by the two string=20
>>>segments as they converge at the front pin.

RN
>>>I disagree. Poor front termination, with the accompanying tonal problems=
=20
>>>and false beats, becomes most problematical when the overall front=20
>>>bearing angle (that between the bridge top and speaking length) is very=
=20
>>>shallow. A strong positive front bearing angle DOES put the horizontal=20
>>>string termination on the notch edge and none of this stuff even comes=20
>>>up. It's only when that angle becomes shallow enough that the crushed=20
>>>notch edge no longer contacts the string. We've gone over the basic=20
>>>points a number of times reducing them to ever finer isolated details.=20
>>>In the piano, they all exist and interact at once, each in relation to=20
>>>other(s).
>>DS
>>Here's perhaps where we are still farther apart, and the fact that we've=
=20
>>gone over basic points in ever finer detail should be viewed as purely=20
>>positive achievement, in my opinion, not a source of exasperation.
>RN
>Did I say I was exasperated? The interrelationship is my point, and all=20
>these details have to tie back into the whole to make sense.

You did not say you were exasperated, but I heard such in the italicized=20
comment above (my italics - ds).  Your response, beginning with "I=20
disagree..." did not address my own previous comment, regarding my view of=
=20
the profile of the bridge-string segments I commonly encounter.  Of course=
=20
it all works together, but insisting on viewing it all together when you=20
are trying to understand the individual contributions makes no sense.

DS
>>I use a Lowell gauge, but as a determinant for front bearing, I measure=20
>>the smallest possible segment behind the pin to compare with the sounding=
=20
>>string segment.  As it relates to termination, that's the only relevant=
 part.
>RN
>I disagree.

WHY?

DS
>>I also slide the gauge to the rear pin to observe the amount of=20
>>curvature  along that segment. It can range from .009" to .050", with the=
=20
>>.030" range not being unusual.
>RN
>What's that in degrees? If you're using the rise per inch from the=20
>graduations on the Lowell gage, that's 0.003" per 10' of angle, isn't it?=
=20
>So you're telling me you measure anything from 0.5=B0 to over 2.5=B0 of=
 curve=20
>over bridge tops? Then again, holding a straight piece of wire in the=20
>groove in a bridge top, tangent to the curve of the groove at the notch=20
>edge, it will likely show more angle than that. I wouldn't consider this=20
>to be a healthy bridge, but as you say, it's what we see the most of in=20
>the field. OK, now how could front bearing that never was over 2=B0 produce=
=20
>a 2.5=B0 or greater indentation?

I don't know what you are asking, or why.  I don't work with degrees.  The=
=20
exact measurement is irrelevant.  Are you questioning my methodology or my=
=20
accuracy in the actual measuring process?  The numbers I indicated=20
represent  the differential measurements taken of the bridge-string segment=
=20
with the gauge feet as close together as possible, first proximate to the=20
front pin, then to the rear.  They indicate a curved profile rather than=20
the conceptualized straight line.  There is no difference in the resulting=
=20
bearing loading, but it does mean that, from a termination view, the=20
immediate string segment behind the front pin is that part that will=20
determine the presence of absence of positive front bearing.

DS
>>Second, I'm sorry to parse your usage, as you sometimes do mine, but you=
=20
>>say no "significant sliding motion", which, of course, makes me wonder,=20
>>just how much "insignificant" sliding motion IS taking place?
>RN
>I have no way to measure it precisely. When you do, please let me know.=20
>With inadequate pin angle and/or inadequate offset angle, I know the=20
>string does indeed slither up and down the pin. It sounds like a dobro on=
=20
>drugs, and is pretty hard to miss. And if I said NO motion, I would=20
>certainly be challenged to prove it. When I see and hear a piano with=20
>provably perfect string terminations, I'll have something by which to=20
>judge. Meanwhile, I'm attempting to get across what I consider to be=20
>reasonable, accurate and factual information pending something that makes=
=20
>more sense to me.

I appreciate your efforts and your vision.  (No strokes intended).  You=20
have challenge me innumerable times to be clear.  That is all I'm asking of=
=20
you.  When, for example, you say that strings can indeed move on the pin if=
=20
the various angles are not correctly executed, then, since we know that=20
many of the pianos we confront in the field ARE less than perfect, it would=
=20
stand to reason that the movement of the string at the (tight) pin COULD=20
create some distortion that might be eliminated, temporarily by seating.

DS
>>Lastly, the analogy with the V bar is interesting but flawed.  The offset=
=20
>>angle of the string at the bridge pin is considerably less.
>RN
>How much angle difference constitutes "considerably"? At what point does=20
>"considerably" become significant? And I have certainly seen deflections=20
>across V bars that are similar to and even less than the horizontal offset=
=20
>across some bridges I've also seen. I think the analogy is quite valid and=
=20
>not that casually dismissed as flawed.

Nothing about my communication with you is casual.  I said:
DS
>The offset angle of the string at the bridge pin is considerably less.

I measured my Steinway O (1913).  The V bar angle was 18 degrees.  The=20
bridge pin offset angle was 7 degrees. This seemed significant.
DS
>The direction of string excitation is perpendicular to the V bar but=20
>parallel to the bridge pin. (If the hammer impact was proximate to a=20
>vertical termination, wouldn't you expect some string displacement?

Whether it ultimately has any effect, I nevertheless see this as a=20
significant enough difference in the modeling to have a potential impact.

DS
>>The direction of string excitation is perpendicular to the V bar but=20
>>parallel to the bridge pin. (If the hammer impact was proximate to a=20
>>vertical termination, wouldn't you expect some string displacement?
>RN
>Strings vibrate in all directions, not just in the vertical direction of=20
>initial excitation. You hear the tonal problems and false beats long after=
=20
>the string has migrated from it's purely vertical excursion path.

I'll have to experiment, but it's possible that the non-false beat=20
distortion we've been discussing is associated with the initial part of the=
=20
tone, where the vertical mode is still predominant.

DS
>>If you believe that the tightness of the pin in the bridge is the prime=20
>>determinant of the presence or absence of false beats, why do you find=20
>>negative front bearing unacceptable?
>RN
>Loose pins with low front bearing. Because pins don't stay tight forever,=
=20
>and I'd rather see the redundant support of both the notch edge and the=20
>pin at the same point with positive front bearing so there's enough=20
>friction between the string and the bridge top to keep even a loose pin=20
>from flag poling and making a beat. Wherever I can get one, I'd rather=20
>have a definite than a maybe. I've tuned a lot of pianos that sounded=20
>pretty good and acceptably clean in the humid summer months, but became=20
>un-tunable with false beats and other termination nasties in dry winter=20
>months. Pianos with tight pins and good crown and bearing don't tend to do=
=20
>this.
>
>I said the string doesn't "have" to be touching the bridge at the pin, and=
=20
>it doesn't to produce good tone, but it's more likely to produce good tone=
=20
>for a longer period if it does.

I agree.  I agree.

David Skolnik