Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:23:54 -0800

Got this on another email program I rarely use so it's a little dated...

I don't find much change when I tap the bridge pin, certainly not what a =
light tap on speaking length side of the bridge pin will do.  I don't =
believe light, occassional tapping is causing the string line on the =
bridge cap.   imho... =20

David
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Roger Jolly=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 9:59 PM
  Subject: Re: Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

  Hi  Wim,
                  Bin thar done that, and bought the teeshirt. Have  =
even taught it.  Now It's a no no.  I know better.

  Tap the bridge pin with a pin punch, the friction of the slight =
movement of the pin, is more than enough to seat the string.
     If you have to touch the string,  just press down with a very blunt =
screw driver, parallel to the bridge pin is all it takes.   A false beat =
caused by a bad notch, or a loose pin, will not be cleared up by tapping =
the string.

  No tapping strings,  it is bad for the health of the piano.

  All too frequently the beat is coming from the opposite termination =
point,  so lift the strings first to improve stability, Then burnish the =
string with a hammer shank at the bridge pins.

  My 2cents worth.

  Regards Roger

    Tapping strings should be done on an as needed basis. If you don't =
tap the strings, it will, as you point out, create false beats, and it =
weakens the tone. So why would you not tap the strings? As long as you =
use a brass rod of some sort on the strings, I don't think you're going =
to compromise the strings. Not only do I use a brass rod, I use a soft =
face hammer because I think It reduces the impact of the rod on the =
string. However, I was taught to always tap the strings on the bridge, =
not in front of the bridge. This reduces the notching of the bridge.=20
    =20
    Wim=20
    Willem Blees, RPT
    Piano Technician