Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:37:33 -0500

> > Because when it doesn't, it eventually leads to tone production problems
> > and false beats when the pin gets loose in the bridge. It's a practical
> > consideration rather than a theoretical one.
> >
>Ron, does this mean that you believe that if the pin is not loose in the
>bridge,
>positive downbearing in the front and contact of the string at the front
>edge of
>the bridge cap don't matter?
>
>Ed Sutton

If the pin angle and row offset is sufficient to supply adequate friction
at the bridge pin, the notch edge can be back into the bridge away from the
pin bisection without causing tone problems or false beats - until the pin
gets loose and starts to flag pole. Go around and look at the bridge
notching on the new pianos in the exhibition hall at Nashville. You will
find some that are very intentionally and very uniformly notched "too
deep", yet don't seem to have all the false beats that we were all taught
HAVE to be there because of the different speaking lengths for the same
string. This doesn't mean that front bearing and coincidence of the notch
edge with the pin doesn't matter, it just means that under certain very
specific circumstances it doesn't cause obvious tonal problems. I think
it's a built in problem waiting to happen. Personally, I'll stick with
positive front (and overall) bearing, adequate pin angle and row offset,
and a notch edge that is at, or a hair behind the center of the pin as my
standard. The more redundant the built in  safety features, the better the
chances of avoiding early failures. This is a chronic over-builder
speaking. When I learn of better ways to get the performance AND
dependability I want, I'll adopt them.

This doesn't relate directly to your post, but I thought it was time to say
it again, to try and keep all these details in perspective.

What we work with in the field is full spectrum, from near ideal to nothing
being anywhere near ideal. We have to work with what we have in front of
us, warts and all. The angles are already there, the pins are already
loose, and the termination is very often already too far gone for us to do
much about with a tuning service call. I haven't seated a string with
anything more than a fingernail for a long time. If that won't help it,
whacking it with a hammer won't either. Mostly, I don't bother because most
of the treble is noisy, but I'll sometimes try to make the ones that stand
out as real screamers a little less bad. Yes, seating seems to help in the
short term, but I don't consider that justification for doing it with any
more gusto than can be generated by a fingernail, since the loose pin is
nearly always the mechanism that generates the beats (allowed by the front
bridge termination damage already present), seating the string doesn't fix
anything. In my opinion, if the whole treble, or a significant part of it,
"needs" seated to be acceptable for tuning, the piano is due for some
serious work.

Driving the pin has a better chance of being of some long term benefit,
except for the damage done to the notch edge by the string as it goes down
with the pin. Mostly, the immediate improvement heard is because the string
has been seated in the process. If the pin isn't bottomed in the hole, and
so isn't pushed back up where it was in the next dry cycle, getting the
string out of the bottom of the worn groove in the pin as David Love
described, there will probably be some long term benefit. Ideally, turning
the pin to present a fresh surface to the string would be both less
destructive to the bridge top, and probably at least as likely to help. Of
course, you'll snaggle up the top of the pin doing it with pliers, but life
is full of little trade-offs. I've played with this some in the shop before
tear down when snaggled pins didn't count, and it seems to work at least as
well as driving pins, and better than seating. For what it's worth.

My intention in all this is to try to understand what we are really working
with, and what we are really doing when we think we are doing something
else entirely.

Ron N