Piano Tech Aide Checklist.doc

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:47:02 -0800

Alan,

You also have to have some way to verify condition of pianos=
 before and after damage is found...how do you do that?  Wouldn't=
 the trucking (private company?...employees of the University?)=
 just say that was the way it was when they found it?  Someone=
 (you or the intern!) would have to be taking digital photos of=
 pianos before moves...

In the private world at hotels, for instance, the same problem=
 exists.  No one takes responsibility for banging the grand into=
 the doorway...the tuner discovers the damage and most of the=
 time nothing is done because of cost of repairs and the pianos,=
 after some time, begin to acquire that hotel piano patina.

David I.

From: Alan McCoy <amccoy@mail.ewu.edu>
To: 'College and University Technicians' <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Piano Tech Aide Checklist.doc

Yep. Actually I do care for the simple reason that cared for=
 things tend to be better cared for. Irony and paradox!

One of the first things I noticed here at the university after=
 20+ years of private work was that there are almost no real=
 consequences for mistakes. The incident was guys from trucking=
 who moved some pianos chipped off a good-sized chunk of veneer=
 from a piano. In the private world they, or their insurance,=
 would have had to pay to get it fixed. I have had to do that=
 when I have made mistakes (like screwing up someone's hardwood=
 floor, and scratching a piano case!). At the university, no=
 consequence. Other than me noticing and making a mental note=
 that I will have to be more supervisory in the future. The other=
 thought about this is that one of the things that makes a good=
 employee is integrity. The movers should have reported the=
 incident and the repair come out of their budget instead of=
 ours.

So I try to have integrity myself and muster the energy to=
 confront students, TAs, faculty, staff when I see people not=
 caring for our pianos (and other things). Gotta start somewhere.=

Alan