accountability, was Re: Piano Tech Aide Checklist.doc

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:44:32 -0700

Well ... I can take care of the instruments knowing that things obviously
cared for tend to be treated with more respect and hope for integrity among
all who go here. I try not to be invisible to the students. I am an outgoing
person. I go out of my way to meet students and talk about what I do. I try
to "own" the instruments. I try to develop a team concept and feeling among
faculty and staff pointing toward our collective mission.

Alan

  _____

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 9:59 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: accountability, was Re: Piano Tech Aide Checklist.doc

In a message dated 4/5/04 11:37:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu writes:

One of the first things I noticed here at the university after 20+ years of
private work was that there are almost no real consequences for mistakes.
The incident was guys from trucking who moved some pianos chipped off a
good-sized chunk of veneer from a piano. In the private world they, or their
insurance, would have had to pay to get it fixed. I have had to do that when
I have made mistakes (like screwing up someone's hardwood floor, and
scratching a piano case!). At the university, no consequence. Other than me
noticing and making a mental note that I will have to be more supervisory in
the future. The other thought about this is that one of the things that
makes a good employee is integrity. The movers should have reported the
incident and the repair come out of their budget instead of ours.

So I try to have integrity myself and muster the energy to confront
students, TAs, faculty, staff when I see people not caring for our pianos
(and other things). Gotta start somewhere.

Alan

Alan

In the private world, a piano is owned by one person, and it is usually
played by one person. In a college setting, especially practice rooms,
pianos are played by a lot of different people. I agree that on a campus, as
everywhere in the "public" world, because there are no consequences, people
do tend to mistreat property. But I dont' see where the "consequence" thing
comes in. Unless practice rooms are kept locked, and students have to sign
out the rooms, it is much too easy to say. "it was that way before I got
there".

How are some of you handeling this accountability problem?

Wim