accountability, was Re: Piano Tech Aide Checklist.doc

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:59:08 EDT

In a message dated 4/5/04 11:37:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu writes:
One of the first things I noticed here at the university after 20+ years of
private work was that there are almost no real consequences for mistakes. The
incident was guys from trucking who moved some pianos chipped off a good-sized
chunk of veneer from a piano. In the private world they, or their insurance,
would have had to pay to get it fixed. I have had to do that when I have made
mistakes (like screwing up someone's hardwood floor, and scratching a piano
case!). At the university, no consequence. Other than me noticing and making a
mental note that I will have to be more supervisory in the future. The other
thought about this is that one of the things that makes a good employee is
integrity. The movers should have reported the incident and the repair come out of
their budget instead of ours.

So I try to have integrity myself and muster the energy to confront students,
TAs, faculty, staff when I see people not caring for our pianos (and other
things). Gotta start somewhere.

Alan
Alan

In the private world, a piano is owned by one person, and it is usually
played by one person. In a college setting, especially practice rooms, pianos are
played by a lot of different people. I agree that on a campus, as everywhere in
the "public" world, because there are no consequences, people do tend to
mistreat property. But I dont' see where the "consequence" thing comes in. Unless
practice rooms are kept locked, and students have to sign out the rooms, it is
much too easy to say. "it was that way before I got there".

How are some of you handeling this accountability problem?

Wim