Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 16:16:28 -0400

Ric -
I've tried your procedure before, and again just now, just to remind myself
why it doesn't entirely work.  First, if the downbearing is positive but
slight, the difference in height between the string groove and the surface
the string would rest upon in its modified position could be enough to
cause an error.  Also, at least when I did it just now, by shifting the
string to the opposite side of the rear bridge pin, it crosses the planed
surface of the adjacent string, towards the bass, which could further alter
your reading.  In other words, if it's really close, you can get a false
positive, or maybe even a false negative.  If, on the other hand, you are
of the opinion that less than a certain amount of downbearing showing is
about as bad as none at all, the method can be useful.  It's just that so
much of what I see falls into the close range.

One of my concerns, stemming from the original (recent) discussion, begun
by Jeff Stickney (3/25/04 Tuning Stability) was what appeared to me to be
an unwarranted shifting of responsibility for negative front bearing onto
the process of string seating.  I think some of the alternative culprits
that have come up in my discussion with Ron have been quite illuminating,
for me at least.

With regard to your observation that tapping can have a beneficial, if
temporary effect, what do you think is happening to initially cause the
distortion and how do you think  tapping solve it?

Regards,

David Skolnik