Steinway L anomaly

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:40:12 EST

Hi, Jim, and colleagues -

I like Ed's suggestion of using a bit of string to "feel" around the nose
bolt.  Dental floss or strong thread perhaps.  I've used a stiff but thin slip of
paper as a feeler in similar situations.

If there is no contact there, I think you can rule that out as a source of
noise.  Probably if there is very firm contact, that would be unlikely to be the
source.  Light contact would be very suspicious.  If this spot is still
suspect, you might try wedging some appropriate tool between board and bolt to see
if it changes the noise situation.

I do think that a modest pitch raising, or a small change in relative
humidity, or both, could change the dimensions and position of the board enough to
make this problem come and go, whether it's located at the nosebolt or not.

I would not worry about the nosebolt (and plate) moving much in the future
regardless.  The plate is pretty rigidly bound to the rim, belly rail, pinblock,
and via the nosebolts to the beams below the soundboard.  I imagine that if
the bolt is bent, it would have been that way ever since the plate was fitted.
(Easier to bend the bolt a bit than to move it!)

It will be interesting to hear what the diagnosis is on this one!  Good luck.

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations