Steinway L anomaly

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:14:57 EST

Jim says<
> Further inspection topside revealed that the nose bolt for the
> bass/tenor strut seemed to be touching the cutout in the soundboard.
> Unfortunately, this was only a visual thing since I didn't have any
> type of feeler to verify this from above or below.   >>

    I have seen the bolts touch the soundboard, too.  If you can loop a thin
piece of string around the bolt and pull it all the way around, it will tell
you if there is contact.  If so,  a Dremel tool and the small bit will let you
carve the wood away from the nose bolt.  I have used a chisel to cut a relief
around this bolt, before, and then used the Dremel to finish the clearance so
I didn't leave splinters or tear-out up on top of the soundboard.
    If there is no contact, you may want to check the nose-bolts for
tightness,as well as the damper-guide rails.  I have found noises coming from both
when loose. (the bolts and rails, not myself).
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT