More wood, less pin. was Re: Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:11:36 -0500

On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 02:48 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:
> So what=A0is the real reason for tapping?=A0More wood, or less pin?
> =A0
> Wim

It appears to me that the most dramatic effect is when the bridge pin=20
actually bottoms out in the hole, transferring the vibration of the=20
string into a solid contact at the bottom of the hole of the bridge,=20
producing a better transferral of vibration to the soundboard. =20
However, I have observed improvements even when the pin hole doesn't=20
seem to have a bottom and you have to stop tapping before the pin=20
disappears below the string.  Any thing which better solidifies the=20
contact of the string to the pin to the bridge and helps stabilize the=20=

transferral of vibration will improve tone and reduce false beats.

If you want to hear the difference without driving the pin or tapping=20
the strings, just take your pin tapping tool or a screwdriver blade and=20=

press down on the bridge pin and listen to the difference.

If the pin is flagpoling, it is because the pin is loose in the hole. =20=

Geometry doesn't care how high the pin extends above the string as long=20=

as termination is solid at the string/pin/bridge contact point and the=20=

pin is in firm contact at the bottom of the hole.

Jeff

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched