Tuning stability

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:29:31 EST

When I restring, my initial chip starts at the first note in the treble half
a step higher than the note itself. (I tune F2 to F#.) (I pinch the beckets,
seat the strings, etc., all before the chip tuning.) By the time the entire
pianos has been chipped, that F is already down to Eb. That's how much elasticity
and soundboard compression there is.

There is nothing wrong with pulling above A440. We do it all the time when we
pitch raise. Isn't the accepted method to raise pitch 25% above A440 that the
pitch is low? (25 cents low is raised to 8 cents sharp. 100 cents low is
raised 25 cents sharp.) So if this is acceptable on a pitch raise why not on an
initial chipping, much less subsequent tunings? After the chip tuning, the first
"real" tuning is done 25 cents high, with the pitch dropping to near A440.
But because I know the strings are going top continue to stretch, I will do the
second tuning at 10 cents high. The third and subsequent tunings are at pitch.

Wim