Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:21:29 -0500

This thread is a virtual "big bang", with different sub-threads expanding
rapidly away from each other.  Assuming that Jeff Stickney got enough
information for his original question, what remains are the following:

Downbearing information about his piano
Methods of expediting new-string stability
Effects of bridge re-surfacing
Concerns about string termination at bridge
Tapping strings at bridge

To keep the stated thread focused, I'll try to respond specifically to
Rogers comments now, though some of my thoughts apply and relate to the
other sub-threads.  I should preface any further comments by saying
that  these issues are relate (I think) to a discussion recently on
pianotech, starting with the thread:

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:10:29 -0500
>From: David Skolnik <davidskolnik@optonline.net>
>Subject: Re: No downbearing ? REVISITED

and continuing through:

>Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:21:25 -0500
>From: David Skolnik <davidskolnik@optonline.net>
>Subject: Re: Soundboard stiffening (was Re: No downbearing)

>Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:28:54 -0500
>From: Mark Kinsler <kinsler33@hotmail.com>
>Subject: an analysis of downbearing, etc.

At the time I would have been interested in the views of CAUT subscribers,
but long ago decided against encouraging the insanity of a multiply- listed
thread.

Respectfully, I think the question of tapping the string at the bridge is
being inadequately addressed.  It has come to where the concept can't be
discussed without the reflexive caution against tapping, for fear of
causing damage, primarily to the bridge.  Clearly, anything we do to a
piano can, if misapplied, cause damage.  Excessive pressure from a
straight-mate type of device can kink strings and damage capos.  Pressing
down the string too vigorously with a blunt tool or while burnishing can do
more damage to the bridge than light tapping. Surely though, is anyone
saying that, if done with care, a string can't be rendered to a bridge
surface without causing damage to either?  Are they?

Let's be clear.  Tapping strings will not cure loose or deformed bridge
pins, or bad notching.  Conversely, tapping pins will not reseat a string
which has lost contact with the bridge edge due to negative front
bearing.  The question then becomes, is it desirable to re-establish that
contact, and why?

What are the assumptions about string termination at the bridge?  It was
never quite clarified for me in the sometime-heated dialogue on pianotech,
referred to above.  The bridge pin certainly seems to be the active player
in the pin-notch duality, but what then is the terminating function of the
notch, and what are the effects of subtle "notch-failure", meaning when
termination is not simultaneous?

If tapping strings is bad, and tapping pins will not seat a string elevated
from the notch edge by negative front bearing (it doesn't take much),
what's a feller to do?  In my experience, the trade off is (temporarily)
cleaner tuning verses increased tuning instability.  That is, tapping
strings will eliminate the falseness being caused by poor termination,
which, in turn, is ( in some cases) caused by negative front bearing, but
it puts the string into an unstable orientation, waiting to return to a
more neutral position, somewhat elevated on the pin, above the notch edge.

Is this also two cents worth? More? Less?

David Skolnik