Tuning stability

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:02:41 +0200

Hi Fred, thanks for the answer,

My concern is that as the slack of the strings get out in 1 to 5
years, depending of the PR and stabilization method employed, so
refraining the 'free' move of tension from below the bridge will
possibly add to the bridge roll.

Seem to me that if one try to get most of the slack off the strings at
once, (like with the so called Klaus Fenner method) it may be
advisable to lock the bridge with some setup, clamps  for instance to
avoid ANY rolling motion. Then after the string have been rendered,
the bend could be made.

I have to think about it. Indeed I made bends also for a long time,
and was persuaded it is good. It cleans the terminations, it help to
stabilize the first tunings , indeed, but what happen to the bridge
geometry during the next first years, as we all know if not tuned the
strings will loose more than a quarter tone the first year ?

The theory tell us that new strings if not forced to, are getting
stable in 5 years, then they don't loose tension anymore due to the
string give, then they are the stiffest, and one step higher they goes
in a semi plastic zone, then plastic, then they begin to break.

As a tuner 'knows' when the string is prone to break it can be useful
to get out of the elastic zone as soon as possible, and then we only
have to maintain the tuning, not raising to pitch before tuning , it
is an important time waste avoided (and very probably better for all
the bends BTW.

Just some ideas I have in mind actually.

One more incomprehensive thread that probably you'll get the idea
nowadays !

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG