Strings riding up (was Tuning stability)

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:59:47 -0600

Hi  Wim,
                 Bin thar done that, and bought the teeshirt. Have  even
taught it.  Now It's a no no.  I know better.

Tap the bridge pin with a pin punch, the friction of the slight movement of
the pin, is more than enough to seat the string.
    If you have to touch the string,  just press down with a very blunt
screw driver, parallel to the bridge pin is all it takes.   A false beat
caused by a bad notch, or a loose pin, will not be cleared up by tapping
the string.

No tapping strings,  it is bad for the health of the piano.

All too frequently the beat is coming from the opposite termination
point,  so lift the strings first to improve stability, Then burnish the
string with a hammer shank at the bridge pins.

My 2cents worth.

Regards Roger