Pinning and Tone

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:24:28 EST

Alan  writes:

<< Pardon my density, but why does higher checking reduce power? If the hammer
tail doesn't drag on the way up (and it shouldn't), I can't see how higher
checking reduces power. Checking, after all, occurs after the hammer has hit
the string. >>

    The second note played, from check, has an effective blow distance equal
to the checking distance.  Soooo....  if you are checking the hammers 1/2"
from the strings, you have less than 30% as much blow distance.  I have had
artists tell me that the piano seemed to lose power on fast repetions when I had
attained an extremely close check.  Lowering the checking distance restored the
power that they were missing, and oddly enough, didn't get perceived as slower
repetition.
   Everything in an action is a compromise between functions.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>