Pinning and Tone

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:08:32 -0700

Richard,

This is exactly what started this thread, and after my visit with Eric
Schandall and repinning to 4 grams with higher checking things are
working wonderfully. Fred said 1-3 grams, but Eric told me "No less than
2, no more than 4". Also, they are making the tails a bit longer and
want higher checking. It doesn't hurt repetition. It helps it. The key
seems to be to pay careful attention to the rep spring strength. No
bouncing, jerking, etc. but a firm rise w/o a jump.

Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Richard E. West
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 7:14 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: Pinning and Tone

The question I have about the new Steinway pinning philosophy is:  How
do you
regulate hammer rise and checking.  With an overly free flange, the
repetition lever
spring is hard to adjust  It has to be strong enough to hold the rep
lever in a
stable position above the jack for good jack return and for a good
hammer line.  But
that means the hammer riser is too fast because of the loose pinning,
creating
problems with double strikes and poor checking on a soft blow.  It's
possible to
compensate by setting drop low to prevent double striking and setting
the checking
distance closer to catch the hammer higher. But setting the drop low
works against
good repetition and setting the checking high reduces power.  Both are
more
difficult to set and, I think, less reliable over the long run.

To review what some seem to be saying over the past few weeks, does all
this mean
I'm going to have to repin all new Steinway flanges?  Worse yet, do I
have to weigh
off new actions because the factory weigh off was done with loose
pinning?

Richard West, University of Nebraska