Pinning and Tone

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:03:02 +0100

Hi Richard.

While I agree with your basic assessment I have to go back to what I said at the very
beginning of this whole line of threads. You are going to have to decide if whatever
gain you can achieve in touch behavior is going to be worth the effort of repining and
eventually re-doing the weigh off.. and be able to defend the cost to the owner...cuz I
doubt seriously you are going to get Steinway to pay.

Sure, such light hammer flange friction will perhaps cause you to make a few different
compromises in action regulation then those you are used to in order to achieve a decent
enough play. But getting a fast enough repetition and enough power should be plenty
doable, and there are no doubt Yin sides to whatever Yangs we are looking at any ways.

So before you get yourself in a position where you are going to recommend that the
Huskers foot the bill for repining and a new weighoff....I'd make sure that the pianists
are simply not happy and cannot be made to be happy with the touch unless you make the
change.

My advice is to get a feel for regulating these actions and observe pianists reactions
over time before bringing on Dracon.

Cheers
RicB

btw.. you can back off a << rats tad >> on rep lever strength when hammer flange
friction is low... this will counter to some degree some of your concerns and will not
compromise rep speed.