piano class

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:43:14 EST

<<

Any way, I'm going to try again, and discuss it with each one of them again.

But I would like to have some figures to back me up this time. >>

Greetings Wim,
   Figures are good, but promises can be better, and speculation can be
anything we want it to be......
 If you can show good reasons for a class like this, it will help your cause.
 These are some that I used:

1.  ANY musician performs better when they understand their instrument, be it
piano, piccolo, or vocal cords.
2.  A course in Instrument awareness will pay for itself in better treatment
of the school's instruments.
     Student's ignorance of the pianos care is EXPENSIVE.
3.  Many of these students will own or be around pianos for their entire
life.  Knowing how to communicate    with tuners that they will have to rely on is
a skill that will stand them in good stead.
4.  Those students that go on to performance careers really need to know how
to talk to technicians if they are to get the most out of the instruments
5.  Even those students that go into music related fields, such as music
administration, choir leader, music teachers, etc.  will almost all have to deal
with pianos and their care.  Knowing something about the instruments will make
them far better equipped in many professional capacities.
6.  Knowing what the piano's capabilities are will allow students to make the
most of their practise time, since they will not waste time trying to perfect
repetition or evenness of voicing on pianos that do not allow it.
7.  Ears do not automatically "open" up.  Understanding the problems of
tuning as it relates to general intonation makes virtually all other musical
endeavors easier.  How many of the faculty knows why we temper?
8.  There is more than one way to tune a piano.  If you demonstrate a side by
side comparison between ET and WT, you may find that faculty members are
intriqued.........
Good luck,  I guess I had it easy!

Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">