Capo Buzz

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:02:05 -0700

Ron,

At 09:47 PM 10/18/2003 +1100, you wrote:
>At 7:22 PM -0400 18/10/03, Ed Sutton wrote:
>>
>>. . . Within the constraints of the S & S design, there are 3 causes of
>>buzz: poorly shaped capo, capo bruised by rough stringing, capo too soft
>>due to failure to case harden in casting.
>
>Plus the fallacious practice of attempting to set the font duplex length
>to a harmonic of the speaking length.

I totally agree with your assessment; and think that this practice has to
do with a basic misunderstanding of what the front duplex is supposed to do.

The patent drawings help support this assumption.  I do not remember the
patent descriptions sufficiently well to know if they confirm or refute
what might be construed from the pictures as being a reinforcing
system.  This is further complicated, I think, by the presence of the
movable cast front duplexes still seen on so many older S&S pianos.

I'm sure that there are others on the list who are much more current with
this stuff than myself...maybe they'll speak up.

Best.

Horace

P.S. - Almost forgot, I've heard some very good compliments about an
instrument of yours that a friend of mine heard in Syndey...Opera House,
maybe?  Good Show!!!

hg