Capo Buzz

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:22:50 -0400

Lance-

    As Ron Koval said, Paul Revenko-Jones is the man for string =
terminations.

    The diagram I'm sending is on the notes from one of his classes.

    His is the sort of class one should take two or three times.

    The string doesn't terminate in a point, or hinge.  The little =
curved place in the string rocks back and forth and sideways over a =
smaller radiused rounded edge.  The string is work-hardening this groove =
into the bar, and you don't want to remove the "good" part of the =
groove, just the excess.  To get a sense of this, make a capo shape in =
modelling clay, and rock a pencil or rod across it like an imaginary =
vibrating string.  It digs a groove, and also pushes up edges on the =
groove.  If the bar is shaped right, then you want to keep the bottom of =
the groove, but get rid of some of the pushed up edge.=20

    If the bar is too narrow, the string works too deep into the bar. =
(Make a very narrow clay edge, and note how easily the pencil cuts into =
it.)

    If the bar is too wide, the string bumps into the bar on its widest =
excursion, somewhat like a worn fret on a steel strung guitar. The =
problem is greatest on the longer string lengths of the capo section, =
because the excursion of the string is greater.

    As long as you have the modelling clay, you can explore and diagnose =
by pressing it up under the capo to take impressions.  For instance, you =
might want to take impressions of a capo that works well, and compare =
with problem areas, to get some ideas of a redius that works well.

    I think those fret files were cheaper at Stewart McDonalds Guitar =
Supply. I didn't like the one I got because the capo bar usually has =
something of a curve, and I didn't like the fit of the straight file =
(maybe it could be cut to a shorter section, or even bent.)

    What I've done is just cut a little groove in a piece of hardwood, =
then I hold or glue a little piece of emery paper in it. I finish with a =
small curved burnisher.

    I don't like the ideas of a"shoe-shining" across the bar, I prefer =
shaping with lengthwise strokes.  The idea is not to get it perfectly =
smooth, but to get the bottoms of the work-hardened grooves at the right =
depth.  You should still be able to feel them with your fingernail... =
just barely.=20
=20
    Within the constraints of the S & S design, there are 3 causes of =
buzz: poorly shaped capo, capo bruised by rough stringing, capo too soft =
due to failure to case harden in casting.  If the capo is too soft, I'm =
not sure what you can do.

Regards,=20
Ed Sutton

----- Original Message -----=20