Buzzing Capo Duplex

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:33:57 -0400

I'm not suggesting that a little glue on the buzzung string segments is a
real fix for the problem.  It isn't.  I'm just saying that Ernie Juhn told
me he used to do it as a quick way to stop the noise.  As for the added
mass - vs - the muting effect:  I suspect it's a little bit of both.

Voicing the hammers is not the solution.  I have found cases where a
buzzing string segment right at resonance with a normal partial require
excessive hammer voicing to get rid of the noise.  You will notice that if
those string segments are well off resonance with a normal partial, there
is rarely a problem, and that flies right in the face of the whole idea of
the duplex.

Jim Ellis