capo buzz

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:23:10 +0000

This is fresh in my mind, because I just took a class with Paul
Revenko-Jones las weekend on this subject.  He's done a ton of research,
going to the point of microscope inspections of the inside of the agraffes.
Anyway, he described the best shape not as a v, but as an italic u.  The
more gradual side faces the tuning pins, while the steeper side gives a
smoother termination to the speaking side of the strings.  He uses a fret
file to get the bottom profile correct. (from guitar repair sources)  Of
course, it's easier to see/do with the plate out.  The description of the
buzzing problem around the strut comes from the wide U, if the approach/wear
angles are enough, coupled with the wire stiffness, you end up with wire in
the middle of the U not touching an making a little buzz.....  He had the
same problem with some agraffes that weren't countersunk on both sides; took
him a long time to find that one!  You'd be amazed at the amount of time he
spends on agraffes while doing a rebuild.

Ron Koval
Concordia U.

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.