capo buzz

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:33:26 -0700

Don't know how I manage to send stuff inadvertantly.  This computer does
some odd things at times -- oh well!

Working near the strut, especially with the strings on, will probably
require a half-round file of some sort.  It's hard to get at with a flat
file even with the strings off -- especially getting the proper angle.
Perhaps a Fordham grinder, or dremel with a flex end could be used, though
extreme caution must be taken not to over grind.

I polish up with a fine grit, 1" wide sanding belt.  This takes the edges
off the V, making it a short radius U, which should minimize the breakage
problem.

By the way, thanks for all your input on the voicing perception issue.  It
is a matter of perception. Charles' post on the pinning/tone issue is the
kind of thing I've experienced here, but has resulted in over-voicing in the
past, & the resultant short hammer life.  That has also created a yo-yo
effect in the psyche of the dept. leading to additional voicing
"emergencies".  It will take some time to change the culture and educate
both faculty & students that perception is a huge part of tone, and
consistency (&dependability) does not come from the knee-jerk response, but
from adherence to a consistent voicing standard.  Mama may not be there to
hold your hand & hear you whine when you have to make a piece of junk sound
good out in the real world.

Otto