capo buzz

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:26:22 -0500

For what it is worth- I have shaped and polished several bars on large
pianos by restringing one half of each treble section at a time.  It is a
dirty job and somewhat awkward filing the bar while watching a mirror
placed on the keybed- but very doable.  Not a bad idea to check and pull
the bridge pins if necessary while you are that far anyway.  Everything
else said about the spacing and stringing was good too.  Once I even
carefully routed out the duplex bar in front of the cappo to seat a brass
rod of correctly higher dimension to give a better angle of termination-
somewhere between 17 and 20 degrees.  No more than 21, for that range.

good luck-

dennis johnson
St. Olaf

(never been so burned out by fall break, and looking forward to the calm).