Pinning and Tone

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:10:33 -0600

Jim,

It was just an attempt at humor. Don't take it personal. We're all
friends.

I'd hate to start walking on eggshells. My 2 cents worth.

Jim Busby, BYU
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
James Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 12:10 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Pinning and Tone

My earlier post on this subject was not intended to invite insults, and
Ed
Foote's caustic remark about Oak Ridge Tennessee is not appreciated.  We
who live here do not "glow in the dark".  If this were a "poisoned
area",
as Ed suggests, then why would those of us who have worked here for
years
and know it best choose to retire here?  Yes, we have our problems, but
so
do many other places, some much worse than Oak Ridge.  This forum is not
the place for insults, so please refrain from them.

Harace Greeley, Ed Sutton, Conrad Hoffsommer, Michael Jorgensen, and
Charles Ball all made astute remarks describing the problems in trying
make measurements of this pinning-and-tonal effect.  It's almost
impossible
to do it, and not introduce some other variable at the same time.

Yes, Ed, (Sutton) I have seen the Stamwood flange, and a piano in which
it
was installed.  What some of you might not have seen is an 1877
Chickering
that had adjustable tighteners on the flanges - tiny leaf springs
attached
to the split flanges to maintain constant tightness as the wood and felt
swelled and shrunk with changes in relative humidity.  If you will look
inside the cover of some immediate past JOURNALS, you will see Larry
Crabb's picture with that vary piano - one of the first overstrung
Chickerings to be made following the expiration of Steinway's patent.

The purpose of my post was simply to say that it would be interesting to
get some quantitative measurements of this effect so we would no longer
have to speculate.  Marcel, you said you remember a demonstration by
Chris
Robinson using a 3-D spectrun analyzer.  Perhaps he would be willing to
publish something in the JOURNAL.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis