Pinning and Tone

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:06:40 -0500

Dear Ed & List,

In a previous incarnation, I tuned the Oak Ridge public school pianos
and had clients in the area.  Perhaps that is way I sometimes glow in
the dark...

My opinion is that you can alter the tonal characteristics simply by
removing a shank from the rail and reinstalling it, unless you get
the spacing exactly as it was before.  Not only can the flange
rotate, but it can also move to the left and right, and forward and
backward--even with a Steinway flange.  If you change the pinning,
then you have potentially altered the traveling, clearance, spacing,
and mating of the hammer to the strings.  The more pronounced the
string grooves, the more significant these changes usually are.

So, as Jim pointed out early on, unless one can devise a testing
situation where all variables are controlled, it is very difficult to
attribute perceived tonal changes to the pinning alone.  Typically
one might re-pin hammer flanges in the course of an action
reconditioning, where hammer filing and action regulation variables
are also introduced into the soup.

As far as the perceived nature of the tonal changes:  some years ago
a very fine pianist on our piano faculty stopped by our shop to ask
me to voice down the piano in her studio, an instrument she
personally used for hours each day.  A few days later she stopped by
again to rather apologetically ask me to bring it back up tonally, as
she felt I had over-voiced it.  A couple of days after that she
stopped by once again to thank me profusely for my attentions to her
piano.  She told me that it was just perfect and not to change a
thing.  Of course, you have probably guessed it by now:  with my
failing memory I forgot about her first request, and never touched
the piano thereafter.  Sometimes we hear what we expect to hear or
want to hear.

I will be interested to see the results of tests using scientific
methods, although I expect the changes to be subtle within the range
of friction that we have been discussing.

Charles
--
Charles Ball, RPT
School of Music