Pinning and Tone

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:08:55 -0500

At 10:57 10/14/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Jim-
>
>I think I'm just within your 250 mile radius, and am interested in this study.
>
>I agree with the need to make some direct measurements, and have four
>suggestions:
>
>1- A few years back David Stanwood was using hammer flanges with adjustable
>friction to control touchweight. The flange had two tiny set screws above the
>center pin which could be adjusted to change the friction.  This would
>allow for a
>number of experiments without even removing the flange from the rail.
>
>2- The experiments should include various weights and hardnesses of
>hammers across
>the range of the piano, as well as different forces of keystrikes.  Does the
>amplitude change for a given keystrike as the flange is changed?
>
>3- Because of the environmental influences on the sound of a piano, contact
>microphones might be more suitable for early tests.
>
>4- The differences should be most evident in the very early or "prompt"
>phases of
>the sound, the analysis should focus on this part of the sound.
>
>Ed Sutton

I'd be willing to bet that the Pianalyzer part of RCT would show a
difference in harmonic strengths, since it displays the previous results as
a black line.

The only other equipment needed would be the test blow jig used for the RPT
exam to eliminate differences in "loudness".

Measure one note,  repin, measure again.

It wouldn't show a realtime sound envelope, but would serve as a
preliminary test, wouldn't it?

My 2¢...

Conrad
( >250 miles distant. )

Conrad Hoffsommer, Decorah, IA
Household Hint: A set mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock
  will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep.