Steinway "pinning" dilemma - friction drop after pinning

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:31:49 -0600

Hi Isaac,
   50 cm centerpins, you say? What is the source for these? I have never seen or
heard of such a thing. Joe Goss is selling what amounts to more or less the
same thing, I think, except it is lengths of music wire (with a somewhat
sharpened end) of the same diameter as centerpins. Same theory. Instead of
working a shorter reamer back and forth, you draw a longer reamer through in
one direction.
   The single correct direction is an interesting idea. I had thought the cloth was
more or less consistent in either direction. But even if it is, it might be good to
work in just one direction so as to keep "brushing" the fibers the same way
rather than back and forth. Would lead to less "bunching up" and probably more
lasting results, which is what you and Don Mannino seem to be saying.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico