bobbling hammers, again

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:35:29 +0200

Hello,

I'd double check the keyframe, back and the bolts pressure.

The tails may be touch the backcheck on their way up, did you check by
pressing firmly on the hammer while the key goes up (no noise may be heard)

The jack can catch in the whippen lever, blocking the lever on its way
down(mean too thick whippen jack's cushion) or too much dip.
No other idea today !

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de
Wimblees@aol.com
  Envoye : lundi 29 septembre 2003 23:20
  A : caut@ptg.org
  Objet : bobbling hammers, again

  Several months I asked about bobbling hammers in a grand. I discovered
that the shank lenght was too long.

  I now have a similar problem with a D. But this time, I've rebuilt the
action with new Steinway parts, (new h,s,f and wipps). There are three notes
that are driving me nuts. Unless I really smack the note, the hammer doesn't
want to check. They boble so bad that they hit the string on the rebound.

  The regulation is just like the other notes, (dip, l.o.,drop, etc.). Not
only is key dip just like its neighbors, but when I increased key dip, it
didn't solve the problem. There is enough damper lever clearance. I've
adjusted the back checks to where the hammer checks almost back down on the
cushion. When I try to make it check earlier, it catches. I've bent the
checks so that the rake is enough to clear the hammer on the way up, but
still catches it on the way down. I've reduced spring tension to the point
of almost no rise, and I've sanded the backs of the tails. I even changed
wippens on one key, but the problem is still there.

  What are some other things I should look at?

  Wim