Steinway 45 upright

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:49:02 -0400

Hi Clarence,
I didn't know you could eliminate false beats in a Steinway 45.  That=20
said, I've decided that seating strings to the bridge can sometimes=20
worsen false beats, and have found better results when driving the=20
bridge pins.  I also seat strings to the capo.  This works in most=20
pianos, but the Steinway 45/1098 seems to have some sort of immunity=20
built up against false beat remedies which work in other pianos.

Some techs suggest that false beats in S$S verticals are caused by the=20=

soundboard.

I've just come to accept false beats in S$S verticals to merely=20
contribute to the overall tone.
Jeff Tanner

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 08:14 PM, Clarence Zeches wrote:

> BrenauUniversityhas a Steinway 45 upright, #385559, (1963?) that had=20=

> developed a lot of false beats in the treble.=A0I have reseated the=20
> strings, etc, but have not been able to eliminate the false=20
> beats.=A0With the age and use on it, will the only solution be to=20
> restring it?
>
> =A0
>
> Clarence Zeches
>
> czeches@alltel.net